http://scan0001[1].jpg NewhouseNewz: Day 6 and Day 7

Monday, January 30, 2006

Day 6 and Day 7

Howdy!!

Boy, time really flew by and I did not have time to update you on my sweet angle's progress. When I joined Mike and Shelby on Saturday around noon, she was excited that the NG tube was gone and her Foley was gone. All she had remaining was her IV and Shelby was receiving her pain meds and her nutrition (TPN and Lipids - which is very hard on the veins because it is very thick) Her diet was barely 'clears' and so she could have only water, broth, or something like that. She was not interested in drinking anything yet, though. Slowly, her day progressed and by that evening she asked for crackers. She had to now get out of bed to use the restroom and we really had to plan receiving her pain meds. Well, needless to say, our nursing staff didn't think it was a problem starting a new procedure in another room when we needed to have meds. (We sometimes have to call the 'higher ups' to make things rock and roll correctly) Shelby was never really comfortable all day because her IV was killing her arm. I stayed with her Saturday night and around 2:00 am, she lost her IV. Instead of starting a new line, I wanted them to stop the burning nutrition, and advance her diet, slowly of course. Naturally, the next problem was that all meds had to now go by mouth. We had to work very hard the rest of the day to get the right things that would give her relief. She was SOOO uncomfortable. Sunday afternoon she finally got Pergoset. Fifteen minutes before Taylor walked into the room she was smiling. Taylor did not see any of the REAL pain. We slowly added more solids as the day went on and her day was really good as long as we kept the muscle spasms and pain under control. She had several visitors on Sunday afternoon. I may have told you that Sunday was Kendall's 9th Birthday and Matt and Amy brought her up, along with her two of her cousins, Elle and Harrison, and MiMi and Pa. Mike picked Taylor up at church on Sunday after she went to the "Girls' Reflecting Glory" conference at First Colony. Shelby and I will 'for sure' be there next year and we are staying with you, Miss Amanda Carter. If it's OK, heehee. Thank you First Colony for putting on such a FABULOUS conference and taking care of our young ladies in Christ. We love you all very much. Sunday night I came home with Taylor and Kendall. We all oversplet Monday morning and Taylor has her first 'tardy' in two years. (Sorry Taylor - I'm sure they will understand at the JR. High. She made it for Coach Grove's Algebra, though) I spoke to Shelby just a few minutes ago and she said she had her first good night but that she threw up several times this morning. (I was secretly wishing for a trip home tomorrow) I'm sure that will not happen now. Mike also just said that her Fellow, Dr. Anderson on the Ortho team, reduced her pain medicine this morning and did not tell him. I asked him to page him and ask him to change it back. Shelby has not been without excruiciating pain for more than 3 hours since this began. I asked him to tell him we would like at least one day without pain so that she would mentally move forward. The pain service at Texas Children's is not all that it is cracked up to be. I think several nurses need new professions! Shelby asked me to bring her mashed potatoes from Luby's with a roll and gravy. Thanks Amanda for the idea. I told her that we would just warm them later when she was ready.

Thank you again for your concern and expressins of love for Shelby. She has been hoping to feel good enough to go upstairs to the 'teen room' and check it out.

I will try to update again as soon as I can,

Love you all,

Kim

8 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shelby - Amanda wanted you to know the girl's conf. was great - she is looking forward to you coming next year. Taylor was so sweet to call and let her talk to you. We so hope and pray your pain will go AWAY! I know it is hard to find a comfy spot. Think how wonderful it will be to go home soon and chill...

Love ya - Mark, Sharon, Amanda & Emma

PS We haven't come up cause Emma & I have resp. infections - yuck!

 
At 12:04 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God that things are getting better! It takes a lot of baby steps to get there, but it will all come together on God's time. We will continue praying for you all. We will be up at Texas Children's on Tuesday and might try to stop in and say hi. Leah is having surgery there in the morning and we will just have to see how that goes and if the times work out. Take care, get some rest, and know that you are loved by so many.
Becky Courington

 
At 1:29 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shelby, Mike & Kim,
We continue to check on you and pray for God to reach down and take the pain away. We love you,
Uncle Jack & Aunt Mary

 
At 4:30 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelby,

Hope today is going better for you. We miss your smiling face and can't wit to see you again sooon!

We all love and pray for you every day.

Mrs.Blaszczak

 
At 4:38 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shelby,I hope you feel better soon. I miss you very much and I always think of you at school. Sometime I can't even concentrate on my work even. Ha! I'll keep praying for you girl and so will the rest of my family
WE LOVE YOU
SHELBY
P.S.I'll come and see you ASAP Scout

 
At 4:55 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelby,
I am glad i got to see you yesterday. I am glad that you are getting better. Please keep up the good work. I hope you are able to go home some time this week. I found this verse in Church: Oh Lord my God, I called to you for your help and you healed me. Psalms 30:2
Love always,
Margaret

 
At 5:17 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shelb!!
Im SOOOOOOOOO happy that you did so good yesterday and today! School was just like any other day today. (except the fact that I missed the bus today because my alarm didn't go off!!!) Well I'll talk to you later tonight. Find out how Gaby is for me ok? Love you TO THE MOON AND BACK!!!!!!!!!
Lv, Tay-Tay

 
At 5:17 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY SHELBY
IT WAS SO GREAT TO HEAR YOUR VOICE AND HEAR YOU SOUND SO UP. I AM GLAD YOU ARE BETTER AND I HOPE HOME IS WHERE YOU WILL BE SOON.

I AM STILL PRAYING.

LOVE YOU GIRL,
MISS NANCY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home